Driven by the school’s mission statement, the main purpose of sport at Brescia House School is to provide each individual pupil with the knowledge and experience to want to be FIT FOR LIFE.
Throughout the school the focus will be on providing opportunities for participation, enjoyment and achievement.
It is compulsory for all girls from Grade 4 to Grade 6 to participate in at least one sporting activity each term. Girls committed to a sports team may not miss practices or matches/galas without a valid reason, which must be communicated to the relevant sports coach well in advance. Please do not start Weekend activities before the end of a gala/athletics meeting/match. All girls are to remain with their team until the end of an event. Good manners will prevail at all times.
Sporting activities offered:
|Soccer||Swimming (school squad)|
There are a number of general aims that are common to all three areas of sport. The most important of these are:
- To develop an awareness of the need for physical activity in maintaining good health for life.
- To encourage pupils to develop an interest in physical activities which will provide a recreational activity once they have left school.
- To enable pupils to experience a sense of achievement as frequently as possibly.
- To help pupils to learn how to co-operate with each other and work successfully as a member of a group.
- To develop self-control and confidence.
- To increase the motor skill of each pupil.
- To provide talented sportswomen with an opportunity to develop high standards of performance in a range of physical activities.
In order to fulfill these aims, all pupils will be required to participate in Physical Education and they will be expected to adhere to the school’s co-curricular requirements.
Grade 7 – 9 pupils are expected to do one sport and one cultural activity each term. Grade 10-12 pupils are expected to do either a sport or a cultural activity each term.
The sports programme offers a variety of sport and will change according to the season.
- Term One: Competitive – Swimming, diving, squash, tennis and equestrian.
- Term Two: Competitive – Hockey, netball, soccer, equestrian.
- Term Three: Competitive – Athletics, squash and tennis.
All the latest news, results, dates and school information can be viewed through the School Communicator, which is updated regularly.
The School Communicator can be downloaded using the link on the Brescia web site or a disc may be collected from the phase receptionists. This will install a small program onto your computer that will load and appear every time you boot-up your computer (we suggest you install the programme at home and at work).
Using a “push” technology, we will be able to send you up-to-date information about all aspects of school life. This will include reminders of parent meetings, fixtures for sports matches, results, photographs, news items and more. In addition, you will easily be able to find contact details and the diary of events for the term.